We are an open and affirming congregation serving the parish of Markinch and Thornton that welcomes all people.
Whoever you are, wherever you come from, whatever your background or history either with the church, or in general, we want to meet you and welcome you into our faith family.
You are loved, wanted, and welcomed.
You are free to come along to any Markinch and Thornton Parish Church service or event. Feel free to turn up, and if you want to, introduce yourself to one of our Welcome Team.
If you would prefer, please get in touch beforehand and we will be happy to speak to you, either through email, over the phone, or we can arrange to meet for a tea or coffee.
Our community does not only exist on Sundays, we are church seven days a week and are here for you when you need us.
For information about what we believe see our About Us section which has information about our faith, our structure, our weekly worship services, and helpful information for anyone with big life event coming up like a wedding, baptism, or funeral.
We know that coming to church for the first time can sometimes feel a bit daunting, so we have put together these FAQs, but if you have any other questions please just get in touch.
- Where are you?
- Catch a glimpse of St. Drostan’s historic church tower on the hill in Markinch. The address is Kirk Brae Markinch KY7 6DS. Our church hall is located just across the street. Thornton Church is located on the main street in Thornton, next to the Town Hall. The address is Main Street Thornton KY1 4AG.
- Where can I park?
- Don’t fret about parking! There are plenty of free on-street parking spots in Markinch and Thornton. Thornton Church even has a car park located at the rear of the building, accessed from Strathore Road. Please consider our neighbours when parking in Markinch.
- What happens during a church service?
- Our services range from 35 minutes to one hour. We worship God and have a traditional approach to it. We sing popular hymns every Sunday, pray together, listen to bible readings, and hear a sermon. We provide a printed Order of Service to give you all the details you need.
- What happens before the service?
- The doors to the church will be open at least 20 minutes before the service begins. People will gather for a chat or a time of quiet prayer. There will always be someone at the door to welcome and assist you.
- What happens after the service?
- After the service in Markinch we go across the road to continue our worship through fellowship (basically we drink tea/coffee and eat biscuits and catch up with each other).
- Do I need to be a member or have been before?
- Not at all! We are an inclusive and welcoming community. Everyone is welcome at Jesus’ table. There is nothing reserved for members, and everyone is encouraged to participate in whatever way they feel comfortable.
- What should I wear?
- Wear whatever makes you comfortable! Some people dress up, while others wear hoodies and jeans. Everyone is welcome, regardless of what they’re wearing.
- Is there a charge?
- No charge! But we rely on donations, which can be made through the offering plates, at the door, during the service, or digitally via QR code or card machine. These donations allow us to continue serving God and our community.
- What about kids?
- Young people are always welcome at Markinch and Thornton Parish Church. Our Markinch service has an All-Age time and young people are welcome to attend Youth Church during the service to learn about our faith in a fun and less formal way.